November 7, 2007

Mid-term Exam


The leaves are falling. Colors are changing. Looking out the train window I'm reminded of home. Arriving in Rome reminds me just how far away I actually am. I'm a few days past the half way point of my trip, and I've only just started to realize how close it is to being over. I miss being home, my friends, and family. I miss being able to do something between the hours of 1-4pm besides walk around a ghost town. But these are all things that pale in comparison to the fun I'm having, the friends I'm making, and the adventures I'm forcing myself to go on.

I lie. It doesn't take much force at all. So tomorrow, after my Italian exam, I'm throwing on my backpack and heading to the train station, again. I'll be armed with a Nalgene bottle full of vino rosso, my camera, the nano, and an open mind. In the back of my mind I'll feel bad for those of you getting ready for exams back home, and be fully aware that I too could be stressing over projects, living in computer labs, and writing three term papers due on successive days.

I'll think about all these things while I'm on the train to Milan, with Prague not far behind, and I'll know that you would all be much more upset with me if I weren't doing exactly that. Because to waste the opportunities presented to you is a bigger sin than to indulge while you can.

So, until Tuesday, ci vediamo.

1 comment:

Michael K. said...

A Nalgene full of vino rosso - you are pure class, man.

Just kidding. Speaking as someone who once, cashless, took the overnight train from Florence to Paris with two apples and two bottles of beer. Prague sounds amazing. I never got there myself.

I am both very envious, and glad you realize you've got to make the most of it while you're there. I'm not sure I did that, way back when, and I probably wasted a lot of time on stupid shit. Any way you cut it, you're going to be sitting back in Ohio sometime soon, wondering where the whole time in Italy went. So do it up.